Modern database systems have introduced more support for security, privacy, and compliance over the last few years. We expect this to increase as compliance issues such as GDPR and other data compliance challenges arise.
In this advanced workshop, we cover data security and privacy protection for SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. With demonstrations and several exercises, this workshop uses group labs to cover database and data protection techniques, including threat analysis and remediation. We'll look at the new features, why you should consider them, where they work, where they don't.
Discussion topics will include:
- Data Categorization and Classification
- Data Catalog and discovery
- Encryption; Transparent Data Encryption, Always Encrypted
- Data Masking
- Row-level Security
- Proactive monitoring
- Data Governance
- Threat Detection
- Vulnerability Assessment
Attendees will leave this session with an understanding of the following:
- How to find and assess data assets, using modern tools and techniques
- How to identify and tag sensitive data
- How to perform cost, benefit, and risk analysis on threats and solutions
- How to deploy features in the right location to best protect data
- The day will include lecture style format as well as interactive discussions and exercises.
Attendee prerequisites: Hands-on experience with SQL Server (any version) and Azure SQL Database. Basic understanding of database design concepts. Familiarity with basic Azure and Data Platform features. Laptops are required to participate in the hands-on labs.